Thursday, January 28, 2010

STUFF: Butterfly Needles



The butterfly needle is the most versatile of medical-use needles. Creepily resembling a mosquito, they are constructed for flexible use for numerous types of injections and infusions. Their metal needle allows for stable vein or artery puncture, yet their rubber tubing allows the user to set the syringe down.

Having been a part of my life as far back as I can remember, I've often toyed around with butterfly needles. I've constructed many a form everything from little needlemen to abstract patterns. Usually, I'd create little module-like things by inserting the end of the metal needle to the plastic receptacle at the other end, or inserting the needle into any part of the plastic tubing.

I realize this might sound like a horrific material to handle to most, but I've been so desensitized to needles to the point where handling them freely invokes no sense of dread or discomfort. Not everybody has the easiest access to these, either. However, I have a 60 oz plastic container full of used butterflies (I should probably take it to OHSU and dispose of it properly at some point). Maybe one day I'll make some sort of statement about my life with needles, with actual needles.

P.S. I am not a heroin addict, I have Hemophilia B.

No comments:

Post a Comment