Saturday, January 9, 2010

Douglas


(That's me on the left)


HELLO MY NAME IS Douglas E. Sherwood. It's been about 5 years since I took my last art class, which was ART 115 here at PSU. Since then I have been working at local comic book publisher Oni Press, for two years in the editorial department, and now two years in the art department. I aspire to be a book designer first, and down the line maybe an artist of my own. We'll see.

WHEN I WAS A CHILD I used to draw detailed skeletal structures of dinosaurs I admired. I was probably ages 4-8 when I did this. I'm told I was a decent student back then, but the only thing I remember about school back then was doodling pachycephalosaurus skulls and Utah raptor feet in the margins of notebook paper.

THESE DAYS I FIND myself enjoying well balanced black and white illustrations, largely of the comic book variety. Artists whose work is mostly ink-based, yet well designed with interesting patterns and page layouts. A few examples being (click images to view larger):


Charles Burns


Michael Deforge


And Paul Pope.


This is also the kind of art I like to make myself, and the sort of art I work with on a daily basis. Ink is my blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment