Sunday, January 10, 2010

Molly Hawken
















Hi, I'm Molly.

I've been taking college art courses for three years, and I've considered myself an artist for as long as I can remember.  I am a business major with a focus in marketing and a minor in graphic design.  

Previously I attended Academy of Art University, San Francisco, and Pacific Northwest College of Art, here in Portland, both as a photography major.  I really enjoyed all of my photography courses at AAU, and I learned a lot about photography as well as the business of being an artist.  

My courses at PNCA were mostly first year "intro to art" type classes, all of which I despised - most notably, intro to drawing, which I nearly failed and am taking now at PSU.  Also at PNCA I was required to take a time arts class, which included animation, video, and performance art.  It was fantastic and got me incredibly interested in video production and editing.  Last spring I took 2D Design at PSU, which was also a very good experience and allowed me to develop some of my basic design skills and thought processes.

Art history (of any sort) has been my least favorite subject, but, in this case, I think the instructor really makes or breaks the class.  Colbert's art history at PSU - not one of my fondest memories.  

I took up photography in middle school, working with film for several years before switching to digital.  I still enjoy film and the darkroom process, but due to time, money, and convenience, I shoot 99% digitally these days.  I enjoy all kinds of photography, but I mostly shoot sports (wakeboarding mostly), people, landscape, and travel photography.  I also make short videos that I never get around to compiling or editing, write (poetry, songs, whatever), and play guitar, all of which I consider forms of art.

As far as looking at and appreciating art, I tend to gravitate toward modern art - installations and sculptures seem to interest me more than other things, but it really depends on the work.  I have been both moved by and offended by (as in - wow, this really sucks) all types of art from illustration to photography to painting, sculpture, video, and installation.  I have never done much sculpture myself, and I'm really looking forward to exploring 3D mediums in this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment