Monday, March 8, 2010

Rainbow Spiderweb of Joy

My project ("the rainbow spiderweb of awesomeness (not intended to relate to gay rights (but not against it either)") was created with 9 different colors of thread, 5 tubes of Elmers super glue, and 10-12 hours of time.
Process:
For the smaller circular spider web I had to measure the trees "V" shape with thread at all of the points where the spider web would connect to the tree. With the measured thread I taped the pieces to my floor in the trapezoid in which they were intended, taped 14 pieces of thread in a rainbow, each laying across one another to form a * type figure, and started laying the swirl over the taped thread (at first super gluing then later knotting).

For the larger triangular spiderweb I taped 12 pieces of thread to the wall and spread them to the floor as far as they could reach one by one. Then started knotting the thread strand by strand to droop in the way I intended. (Here are two different views in light and in dark)

In order to tie the horizontal pieces onto the web as efficiently as possible I needed to get onto my roommates bed, climb onto the window sill, and hop to the floor in order to get under the web.






This is the final product, the chosen tree, and my friend Josh who I thanked a million times for helping me the morning of the critique for an hour in the freezing cold when he could have been sleeping.
Overall:
I really enjoyed making the webs as time consuming as it may have been, and although I had my usual little bits of criticism, overall I think the end product came out really well and now it resides on my window.

1 comment:

  1. Josh's picture has gotten cut off!
    Side Note: notice the spray painted bones from body extensions?

    ReplyDelete