Monday, March 8, 2010

Hidden Structure





My goal was to create a structure outside that could be observed by those who know where it is and still to be natural enough that it would not be seen unless you really looked for it. Instead of breaking the rules I wanted to enhance the rules. No tools just hands and effort. If I could not move it, pull it, or break it off, it could not be part of the sculpture. The idea came to me after Hannah and I's original discussion about the project and the possibility of leaving behind liter. So I went for the other direction concealment. The first day I looked for a spot in Forrest Park. After a ten minute hike I found a great spot with a tree that was nearly down. It is on a slanted hillside under the main Wildwood trail off of the Alder trail. I threw bread out onto the main trail in order to keep people and dogs away from where I was working. I went down into the ravine and began work. The first day I logged 3 hours and did two hours each day for a total of 11 hours. I expected to get more done than I did in that time period but using only materials from the site forced me to move further and further from the tree after I had pulled it all the way down. I pulled individual fern leaves off of plants in order to make an exterior cover. I folded and broke off branches from the main tree, which proved to be very difficult. Going up and down the hillside proved to be difficult as well. I tried to photograph the site about every half hour. I was listening for people and was amazed how close people would come but still not see me. A couple of times I could almost reach out and touch them. Eventually when finished I went into my structure and sat for a good twenty minutes and just listened. it was a very interesting experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment