Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Jana Sterbak by Katie Scoville

Sterbak's works are primarily driven by issues of power, sexuality and control. Also, she explores the relationship between humanity and technology.

A more disturbing piece I found of hers is a very clear example of power, sexuality and control. In this image we see a model wearing a dress made of meat.

In 1991 Sterbak caused quite the debate at the National Gallery in Ottawa, Canada by hanging 50 pounds of raw flank steaks stitched together in the form of a dress on display. Supposedly this was to emphasize the contrast between vanity and bodily decay. As it moved from all sort of galleries through the U.S and Europe the meat was replaced every six weeks when the meat would decompose with $260 worth of fresh meat.

Another piece I would really like to share that deals with body extensions is this one. Though I'm having the hardest time finding more information about it. All I know is that it is called "cones on fingers" and that each cone is made of measuring tape.



And this is a similar concept but the cone covers the whole hand.



Wish I could have found more information on these. My opinion about the Jana Sterbak is a good one. I found her work to be really interesting. When we were looking at the slides in class one of the images we viewed was the "monumental crutches." In class this piece really stood out to me and I actually went home thinking about this idea of crutches being an extension of the body. Then I did some research and discovered it was this artist. Here is a picture of the "monumental crutches" just as a reminder. I like how simple her ideas are and yet they still shock the viewer and stimulate discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment